Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Bangkok, Thailand - recovery...

Monday I applied for a new U.S. passport (fortunately I do have a photo of my passport stored on my web site so that made things a long easier at the U.S. Embassey). I visited the Air India and Kuwait Airlines offices to try to get the stolen tickets reissued. I also dropped by the Indian embassey to see about a replacement visa for the 6-month, multiple entry India visa I had stamped in my stolen passport. Basically they told me I would have to get a new India visa and it would take 5-days, which I don't have. That's five days after I get the new U.S. passport! I'm going to try to change my ticket so I don't have a long layover in Mumbai, otherwise I will be spending about 30-hours in the transit area at the airport in Mumbai.

I spent today getting a new cell phone, a new camera (a Konica Minolta Z5 the predessor to the Z6 which I used for the rest of the trip, I couldn't find a Z6), a 2-GB memory card for the camera, rechargeable batteries for the camera and a 2-GB memory stick for storing photos offloaded from my camera. Hopefully I'll have enough memory for the trip through Egypt and Africa. In Bangkok there's a plaza that has 6-floors of stores for electronic stuff. That's where I purchased all the items. The prices seemed quite good.

The hotel I'm staying at (where the stuff was stolen from) agreed to discount the price of my room 15% for my remaining 6-day stay. Not a great concession, but something at least.

I hope to take a trip out of Bangkok tomorrow and get away from the city a bit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home