Sunday, November 12, 2006

Gorak Shep t0 Kala Pattar to Pheriche, Nepal - Everest Trek Day 6 (4243-meters/13,921-feet)

I had to wake Kekam up at 5:00 a.m. Apparently his alarm didn't go off. We wanted to make it to the top of Kala Pattar by sunrise. I had three cups of hot lemon and a snickers bar before the climb. I felt fine. No headaches, no nausea. The ascent is quite easy with the exception of the altitude you are climbing at. Kala Pattar is a very long, sloping hill. We saw the glow of headlamps further up the mountain. Though they started before us, we ended up passing them. I don't quite know how, as I was moving at a snail's pace. But I'm a very steady snail! We made it to the summit by sunrise.

It was a very clear day and there were some awesome views of Everest, Lotse, Nupse, Pomari and the other peaks. I built a small rock stupa in memory of finally making it to Kala Pattar, and hoping that my trekking partner from my first attempt, Ted, would make it here as well some day to add to it.

Kala Pattar - (5545-Meters/18,193-feet)

I am very thankful that God has blessed me with being able to make this trip. I think this region is the most awesome place on earth and I feel privileged to be able to visit here again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home