Thursday, November 16, 2006

Kathmandu, Nepal - Delhi, India

After a rough night, I felt quite a bit better. I had gotten quite a lot of sleep, though intermittant, and the luxury of a hot shower. I felt like I at least had the option of making the flight to Delhi as booked.

I tried investigating what would be involved in changing the three tickets I had purchased for the journey from Kathmandu to Cochin, but couldn't get the information I required as quickly as I needed it. Dil Kumar had requested that I call him if I was leaving so he could drive to the hotel to say goodbye. I decided to take the flights as booked. Sunil called Dil Kumar and Dil started the trip from his village to Kathmandu on his motorcycle.

My sherpa guide, Kekam, came by to see me off. I showed him pictures I had taken during the 9-day Everest trek. He requested copies of some of them. Looking at a photo of Ama Dablam, he showed me where four climbers had died in an avalanche during the 2nd to last day of our trek. He had been on climbs of Ama Dablam three times and summited it once. During the successful climb he was the sole sherpa to set up all the stakes, ice screws and ropes for the final stage of the ascent. I cannot even imagine trying to climb that peak!

He also related that his father had been a monk.

He gave me a peach colored scarf as a symbol of good luck on my journey. He asked what kind of tea I liked and then went off to purchase some. He returned just as Dil arrived. I introduced Kekam to Dil. Kekam was able to act as an interpretor when I went back to my room to show Dil photos from my last days visit with his family and photos from the trek. Part way through Kekam had to depart. He gave me ginger tea in a beautiful cloth pouch as parting present.

Before leaving, Dil gave me a yellow scarf and a beautiful, hand carved wood frame for photos. Sunil also had a yellow scarf for me, so in all I had three "farewell" scarfs that I proudly wore from departing the hotel until after I boarded the aircraft several hours later.

At the airport Dil and I had a tearful goodbye. I was glad Sunil was there to be with him on the return journey to Kathmandu.

The plane was a couple hours late and there were some very recent security threats specific to India. They confiscated 3-spare AAA rechargeable batteries from me at the main security checkpoint and then later confiscated sun cream at the security checkpoint they had right at the stairway to the plane.

As we took off and the plane started leaving Nepal I was overcome with emotion. Two incredible things had happened here. I had re-united with my sponsored child from 20-years ago and I had climbed to a place and an elevation that I never thought I would be able to. The most beautiful place on earth to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home