Monday, October 02, 2006

Litang, China - Life at 13,000 feet!

Litang is at an elevation of above 13,000 feet and it certainly let's you know it!Some people have headaches and fever. I generally experienced it as a "surprise" shortness of breath when doing something that normally wouldn't tax my breathing.

I decided to take a walk down to the far end of one of the main roads in Litang. I found one group of Tibetans working on the stone foundation of one of their traditional houses while another group, working on another house, were planing and cutting the timbers. A person from each group invited me over, and, after asking permission in sign language, I took photos of them and their work. I showed them the pictures on the viewer on my camera and they laughed and pointed.

Further on a Tibetan invited me into his house for tea (not yak butter tea, thankfully!) and I was able to take photos of him, his children, his wife and their beautiful home. I spoke no Tibetan and they spoke no English. The Tibetan people in the country seem to be very friendly!

Later that evening I met up with Bastian and Ivonne, two Germans traveling together in China, for dinner. We split three dishes along with individual servings of rice and the bill came to about $1.25 each. We talked some about the minibus trip we had "arranged" for tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home