Friday, September 29, 2006

Daocheng, China - now this is remote!

I arrived in Daocheng from Zhongdian last evening about 8 p.m. after a 13-hour bus ride through one of the most beautiful and dangerous highways in the world. It seemed that didn't want to miss going up and down every tall mountain they could find when they build this road. It also passed alongside some beautiful gorges, valleys and small Tibetan villages. Fortunately our driver was excellent. He drove expeditiously but not recklessly, beeping his horn when traveling in the other lane around blind corners and slowing in the worst parts of the road. I'm not sure what the hightest pass on this leg was, but during one of them I'll be going over a pass over 15,000 high.

Daocheng is situated in rolling hills amidst Tibetan villages at an altitude above 11,000 feet. I'm feeling the effects, shortness of breath whenever I exert myself. My Isreali friends (now 5, 2 additional from the bus trip) and I found a local restaurant and managed to order meat dumplings and fried noodles and avoid the "explode squid with fire" and other incomprehensible dishes. Whoever translated the menu into English had no clue.

The Israelis negotiated us into a dorm saving 10-Yuan per person (a little over a dollar) after about 30-minutes of negotiating. I'm learning from them. I was able to save a couple of dollars on a double I'm renting tonight but am staying in by myself. It's a bit overpriced already because this is a peak Chinese traveling time.

Today I think I will be back on my own. I plan to head to Litang tomorrow. If I can find people to share expenses traveling to Ganzi, then I think I will go there, otherwise I may stay longer in Litang or head onto Kangding. Whichever would be best to avoid the hordes of Chinese travellers and the accompanying higher prices wherever they go.

My mood changes like the weather traveling in the remoter regions. It's definitely a lot more difficult. It's inspiring and frustrating and amazing and at times digusting. I'm glad I'm doing some of it. I don't know for how long, but because it's quite stressful.

I'm thankful to the many kind Chinese people who help me as well as the help from fellow foreign travellers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home