Friday, January 20, 2006

Whew! Finally got something planned other than finding our luggage. We're heading to the Yasawa Islands for a 14-day trip tomorrow by boat, the "Awesome Adventurer". We're spending 1 + 4 days on two islands at the top of the Yasawas, Nanuya Lailai and Tavewa, then on to a middle island, Naviti, for 4-days and finally to Waya for 5-days. Each island has it's own unique characteristics, I'll try to tell you what they are after we visit them. John's excited about caves you can only get to my swimming underneath the water and surfacing inside of them. I'm going to be practicing learning to hold my breath!

We'll probably be out of internet access for the next 15-days. Most of these islands do not even have any permanent electricity.

It took almost the entire day to do the final planning and book the trip. We talked to three different travel agents. The first travel agent appeared to have ADHT, he went through so many possibilities our mind was spinning afterwards. The second was so laid back, she said - "tell me where you want to go and where you want to stay and I'll give you a price and book it". That's what we needed help in figuring out! The third was "just right...". We decided to pay cash for most of it to avoid the 3% credit card fee. Some places also charge their own 5% fee making it a 8% total fee to make a payment by credit card!

We had looked at going to islands off the south and the west coast of Fiji, but the rainy season has begun and all of the agents suggested we avoid these areas at this time.

John did a great job bargaining for flippers and a snorkel today. Two shops started at a price of $100 Fiji dollars and John walked away with them (not wearing them) for $65. That's about $40 US compared to the $60 they asked for.

We both explored our packs to see what we had forgotten we had packed. I am definetly going to get rid of some stuff. When you realize you can live out of a day pack for three days, it makes you think a little more about what you really need to have with you.

I ran into the coconut tree climber today on the beach. He had completely forgotten who I was and was starting his same routine. Guess we foreigners all look alike!

We're feeling like we've learned a lot about traveling in the few days we've been here and have managed to get along pretty well. Like I mentioned in my intro quote on the home page, "the unfamiliar is becoming familiar".

I've took 74-pictures so far, John and I went through them and I deleted over half of them. It doesn't look like we're going to be able to upload very much. So well be having the pics burned to CD and send them to my cousin Ric who will post some of them on the web site.

That's all for now! REaaalllly excited about the trip tomorrow!
-Chris

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a great time on the islands!

10:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris,

Well done, have a great time.

10:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home