Friday, June 30, 2006

Scituate, Massachusetts...
If you read John's journal you will know that I received an email from my cousin that my mother was in the hospital with a tumor on her spine and they suspected cancer. I made arrangements to fly back to Boston the following day. The flight segements I was able to book were generally good, but they couldn't find a connecting flight to Boston the same evening, so they had me scheduled for laying overnight and taking a flight the next morning. Thank God for friends! My friend Tony was able to get me a buddy pass on a Delta flight the same evening that I arrived in LAX for a direct flight to Boston! I was able to make it back to Scituate in 24-hours, 20-hours in the air and 4-hours for layovers. That as good as it gets. Thanks Tony!

I arrived 6:00 am, took the MBTA train to Braintree and was picked up by my cousin Ric. He filled me in on what details he knew and recommended I bring a notebook to record the names of all the hospital people involved (very good idea!). My mother was on strong pain killers and a bit confused but very glad to see me. The doctors and staff were all very nice, but always very busy and, because they worked in shifts, the doctors and nurses attending my Mom changed constantly.

After visiting my Mom and finding as much as I could from her, the doctors and nurses I returned to the family home to set up communcations. I changed my Mom's "emergency only" cell phone plan to a normal plan that I could use to get calls from the doctors and talk to my Mom, bought a cable modem and changed my Mom's Internet service from dial-up to hi-speed cable and bought an inexpensive microwave oven to be able to prepare food more quickly for myself and my Mom when she returned.

I brought my Mom home from the hospital today. She's a bit fragile at the moment, which is understandable. She's on strong painkillers and has been through a battery of tests, including MRIs, CAT scans and a biopsy. They're recommending radiation therapy which will begin on July 6th for 10-13 sessions.

My cousin, Tilla, has graciously volunteered to stay with my Mom after I leave to continue the round the world trip. I have reservations to return to Bangkok starting on July 18th and arriving on July 19th.

I'm a bit exhausted after the 20-hour plane flight, 11-hour time change and being affected by all the issues surrounding a loved one with a major illness, so please excuse me if I'm a bit sketchy on details.

Please keep my Mom and myself in your prayers and thanks to all those who have helped me and my Mom, including Tony, Ric, Tilla, Bob, Madeleine, Connie, and Sally.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home