Monday, June 12, 2006

Perhentian Islands - Batu Nissan
I had planned to join a morning dive to Temple of the sea, but there weren't enough people, it required 4 but we only had 3, so I decided to join the other two people on a dive to a spot in the local bay called Batu Nissan. The other two divers were very new to diving and one of them expressed she had difficultly in clearing her ears. For some reason the dive master said he and I would be a "buddy team" and then the two of them. That didn't seem to make much sense, as both of them were inexperienced while both of us were significantly more experienced. I ended up staying with the girl, who was at 3-meters while she adjusting her ears, while the divemaster was already at 18-meters. Later on the newbee guy, Josh, was freaking out about a remora fish that was trying to attach itself to him. They're a type of cleaner fish and quite harmless. I reassured him by hand signals not to worry. He also hadn't learned how to clear all the air out of his bouyancy vest, which I demonstrated to him underwater. I think a few of the divemasters here have a bit of a casual attitude towards the divers in their group. That was generally was good for John and I. We didn't need the constant, "Are you OK???" sign, which can become annoying, but for new divers I think it's a bit worrisome.

Sea Creature Sightings:
Jenkins Whip Ray
Blue Spotted Sting Ray
Yellow Box Fish
Trevali
Remora
Cushion Starfish
Anemones

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home